I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a gray mist on the sea’s face, and a gray dawn breaking.
~ John Masefield
I finally dipped my toes into the atlantic ocean this week. It had been my plan to go to the beach first thing after finishing cosmetology school, but one thing led to another, and it was almost a month before I got down to beautiful Newport. My sister and were able to enjoy the sunshine as well as a ferocious breeze.... I also read a bit more of Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier (which is a masterpiece), gossiped with a mermaid, drove around spying on the mansions, and walked along the cliffs. It was wonderous.
This isn't what I wore to the beach, but it was a nautically inspired Sunday afternoon getup.
- Cream Blouse by PETE & GRETA - gift from my aunt
- Striped Skirt - used to be a dress, refashioned by me
- Belt - thrifted
- Red Shoes by SM NEW YORK - thrifted
- Necklace - gift from a friend from the Dominican Republic
- Gold Hoop Earrings - handmade by Kathy Snyder
- Star Bracelet - hand-me-down
If you're an east or west coaster, have you been to the ocean yet? And if you live far away from the sea, how do you survive? Tell me your secrets.
Photos by Lydia Flynn